About Kothamangalam Diocese
The diocese of Kothamangalam was erected by Pope Pius XII through the Papal Bull ‘Qui in beati Petri Cathedra‘ of July 29, 1956 separating the protopresbyterates of Arakuzha, Kothamangalam and Mailacombu, of the then Archeparchy of Ernakulam- Angamaly. Mar Matthew Pothanamuzhi was ordained as the first bishop of the eparchy in Rome on November 18, 1956. The inauguration of the eparchy and the installation of the new bishop took place on January 10, 1957, at Kothamangalam. Mar Matthew Pothanamuzhi, who guided the eparchy with paternal care and succeeded in curing the teething troubles of the eparchy, retired after two decades of memorable pastoral ministry.
His Excellency Mar George Punnakottil succeeded Mar Matthew Pothanamuzhi. He was ordained and was installed in office on April 24, 1977. The developmental programmes in the eparchy got a new vigour and verve and there were new initiatives to augment this process. At present, the Eparchy is constituted of 119 parishes. In 2007 we commemorated with a grand celebration the Divine providence in the continuous showering of the Grace of God from His Kingdom, leading this eparchy to the service of the faithful for a successful span of fifty years.
On January 10, 2013, the 56th anniversary of the inauguration of the Eparchy of Kothamangalam, the people of God heard the announcement ‘We have a new Bishop’. Bishop Mar George Madathikandathil was enthroned on February 9, 2013 as the third bishop of the Eparchy of Kothamangalam when Mar George Punnakottil retired from office.
Situated in the centre of Kerala, the Eparchy of Kothamangalam lies extended in Ernakulam and Idukki districts surrounded by the Archeparchy of Ernakulam-Angamaly, eparchies of Irinjalakuda, Idukki and Pala.
P.B. No. 6, Kothamangalam, Kerala 686691.
Phone : 0485-2862236, 2862237.
Fax : 0485-2862237
Website : www.kothamangalamdiocese.org
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org